In order to better support our congregation and greater secular community we have started offering a drop in support group*. This group is peer-led and meant to be a place for anyone dealing with being an out atheist, agnostic, etc., and general struggles with non-shared beliefs. We offer a place for community, understanding, or just to tell your story. This group is not about criticizing religion or religious people, but rather it is a place to find community and empathy. Check our Events listing for the next scheduled group.
We ask everyone who attends one of our peer-led support groups to adhere to the following Ground Rules:
Pledges and expectations:
- Confidentiality. Sunday Assembly Madison (SAM) will make no outside use of your participation whatever. No record will be kept of your identity or your attendance. Your participation is strictly limited to each individual meeting you choose to attend. To that end…
- No audio, video, or written transcript of any kind will be made by SAM or tolerated from participants.
- We request that all cell phones be put away, either turned off or silenced and set to vibrate.
- Participation is voluntary. You will never be pressured to return, or to attend any other SAM activity.
- Participation is free. No monetary contribution will ever be requested or expected.
Personal conduct during the meeting:
- Be respectful of others. One person talks at a time without interruptions. Side conversations are discouraged. Do not monopolize the conversation.
- Strive to be non-judgmental and accepting of others.
- You will never be forced to participate against your will. You have absolute the right to pass on your turn if you wish.
- Practice empathy. Learn from the experience of others by placing yourself in their situation as best you can. Refrain from giving advice without careful consideration. If you feel you must, do so sparingly, and always based on your personal experience.
- Be courteous. Arrive on time and stay for the duration of the meeting if at all possible. If you arrive late, or find that you must go, please do so quietly.
- We will end promptly on time.
Grounds for ejection:
- Physical violence and verbal abuse will not be tolerated. You will be asked to leave.
- Be sober. Do not come if you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. You will be asked to leave.
- Do not bring any weapons, of any kind, ever. You will be asked to leave.
*Please note that this is not a clinical or licensed care setting, but rather people helping people. If you need professional or clinical care we are happy to point you resources that we know of, but do not provide such services.